It’s back! The long-awaited start of Youth Cycling League 2021 is this Monday, July 26.
We will have YCL every Monday and Thursday from 5:30-6:30 for beginners and 6:30-7:30 for intermediate riders through October 14th. As in years past, we will provide bikes, helmets, water, and lots of fun, but you can also bring your own helmet and water bottle from home. We recommend all riders wear athletic clothing and sneakers with short laces. Other frequently asked questions are answered on the DLV website. Please bring a signed waiver on the first day.
We are so excited to get back to YCL and look forward to seeing you all there.
The racing season started a few weeks ago and so far has been a great success. We are very happy to see the velodrome come alive again!
Below are the changes starting in June.
We will continue the same programming and every other week rotation of racing as we did in May with one exception. The program on the 5th Wednesday will be at the Race Director’s discretion. Come prepared for whatever gets thrown at you. I promise, there will be a mix of short and long races.
Field limits will be raised as follows:
- Group 1: 25 riders
- Group 2: 20 riders
- Group 3: 15 riders
We will begin charging for racing and going cashless. The fee for racing on Wednesday nights for the 2021 season will be $20 processed through the DLV website. For the month of June, racing will be discounted 50% ($10 off).
Riders 18 and under will race for free. When you go to purchase a ticket to race, you will see a coupon code listed. Use this code during the checkout process to receive a free ticket to race.
The fees collected are used to pay officials, registration workers, results workers and the general operating expenses of the velodrome.
Thanks for your support, and happy racing!
President East Point Velodrome Association
I am happy to announce that Wednesday racing is back at the Dick Lane Velodrome starting with the first Wednesday in May. This will not be the traditional DLV programming as we return to racing. It will be adjusted periodically with a goal of getting back to something that carries on DLV tradition and incorporates a few new ideas.
If you would like to volunteer to help on race nights, please email [email protected]
Let’s all have fun and be safe!
East Point Velodrome Association
Here is some general programming information and a few of the logistics for May racing. Check the DLV Event page for specifics to be added later this week.
- – Racing for the 2021 season will be Wednesday only, starting in May and running through the end of September. (A total of 22 weeks.)
- – There will be no rider of the year or omnium points tabulated for the 2021 race season.
- – May racing will be free. Starting in June, the cost will be $20 per night.
- General housekeeping rules:
- – Registration will be at concession
- – No riders allowed in officials stand
- – Covid guidelines will be posted at concessions and infield board.
- May: Wednesday race programming:
- – Gates open 5:30 PM
- – Track and rider check in open at 6:00 PM for warmup
- – No traditional DLV group warmup
- – Riders meeting 6:50 PM
- – Racing starts at 7:00 PM
- – Racing ends at approximately 9:00 PM – We would like to have the back straight lights out – by 9:10 PM to be considerate to the neighborhood. All lights out and gates locked by 9:30 PM.
- – DLV cat A, B and C racers only. No cat D (beginners)
- – Maximum participation for a night limited to 36 riders (3 fields of 12 max)
- – Fields of 10 to 12 (max) riders of similar abilities (based on ability, not always category)
- – Races for each field will be made up of the following races. Watch the event page for specifics prior to each night.
- * Race 1: 5 lap scratch or 10 lap scratch
- * Race 2: Tempo or Win and Out
- * Race 3: Unknown Distance
- * Race 4: Feature races (see below)
- – Feature races (2) by invite only
- * Fields for these races are by invite
- * Not everyone will qualify
- * Possibly move a few riders down a cat to “control” races
- * Points races
- * Laps depend on remaining time
- * Feature Races:
- – “B” Main feature (30 to 40 laps ideal) sprints every 10
- – “A” Main feature (40 to 50 laps ideal) sprints every 10
- – June, July, August and September program TBD based on participation and field sizes
Race Night General COVID-19 Guidelines
- – Please stay at home if you are experiencing any symptoms of illness, have an elevated temperature, or have been in close contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19.
- – Masks are mandatory any time you can not maintain 6 feet of distance from another person.
- – Masks are encouraged but not required while riding.
- – At this event and all others, please limit the number of people (guests/parents) you bring with you as much as possible. We understand it may not be possible for you to come alone.
- – Upon arrival, please follow all directions provided and continue to practice in social distancing.
- – Entrants are encouraged to bring their own pen to complete the 2021 ATRA waivers if you have not completed your ATRA waiver at home.
- – Riders should find a spot in the infield as usual and stay there as much as you can. Please leave a safe distance to your neighbors of at least 6 feet. If you leave your area, social distancing must be adhered to.
- – Guests should find a spot on the outside of the boards and please leave a safe distance to your neighbors of at least 6 feet.
- – No groupings of more than 12 people.
- – Maintain a minimum of 6 feet between participants and staff members at all times. Avoid physical contact with others when possible.
- – All riders/visitors should wash their hands regularly with soap and water for a minimum of 20 seconds.
- – Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- – No riders allowed in officials stand.
- – No more than two people in each restroom at a time.
The velodrome is opening up for unstructured training only on Wednesdays in April at no cost to riders. The first night of training will be Wednesday, April 7 from 7 – 9 PM. The last Wednesday of training will be April 28. Details are below and are listed on the Dick Lane Velodrome Calendar page.
Check back for an announcement of our May plans in the next few weeks.
Here are the specifics of the training nights.
Riders must bring all of their own equipment, complete a waiver, pre-register and check in upon arrival for contact tracing purposes.
All riders must complete the ATRA waiver for 2021 and bring it to your first event of 2021. The waiver can also be filled out and emailed in. Click here for the waiver –>ATRA Release
Please print, sign and bring the waiver with you. Or if you can, please scan/take a photo and email with your name on the subject line to: [email protected]
Event Registration and Check In
***Online registration only***
The option to register will open at midnight on the day of the event and will close at the end of the event. Use the “Going” button which activates on the event page at midnight on the day of the event to pre-register.
Upon arrival riders must check in at concessions. When you register, you will be emailed a QR code that gets scanned at check-in. Please have the QR code ready when you check in.
After check-in, only riders may enter the infield. Guests must remain outside the boards.
General Covid-19 Guidelines
- Please stay at home if you are experiencing any symptoms of illness, have an elevated temperature, or have been in close contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19.
- At this event and all others, please limit the number of people (guests/parents) you bring with you as much as possible. We understand it may not be possible for you to come alone.
- Upon arrival, please follow all directions provided and continue to practice social distancing.
- Entrants are encouraged to bring their own pen to complete the 2021 ATRA waivers if you have not completed your ATRA waiver at home.
- Riders find a spot in the infield as usual and stay there as much as you can. Please leave a safe distance to your neighbors of at least 6 feet. If you leave your area, social distancing must be adhered to.
- Guests find a spot on the outside of the boards and please leave a safe distance to your neighbors of at least 6 feet.
- Maintain a minimum of 6 feet between participants and staff members at all times. Avoid physical contact with others when possible.
- All Park riders/visitors should wash their hands regularly with soap and water for a minimum of 20 seconds.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Masks are mandatory any time you can not maintain 6 feet of distance from another person.
- Masks are encouraged but not required while riding.
All inquiries should be emailed to [email protected]
DLV’s first workday of 2021 is scheduled for 9AM, Saturday March 20th. We need volunteers to help clean up the velodrome grounds in preparation for the 2021 season. Being outdoors everyone will have no problem being socially distanced and mask wearing is encouraged. The primary task will be:
- Leaf removal
- Debris cleanup
- General cleaning
These represent a few of the primary things that need done so that we can take the next steps in opening the velodrome in 2021.
Note: State guidelines for Covid 19 safety are to be followed by all volunteers.
Please RSVP through our event page: https://www.dicklanevelodrome.com/event/2021-pre-season-velodrome-work-day/
Come join us if you can, we appreciate your help!!!!
The Dick Lane Velodrome is committed to promoting cycling in a safe and friendly environment. It was out of an abundance of caution for everyone’s health, state/local guidelines, and respect for the community that we temporarily shut down the Dick Lane Velodrome in 2020. We were all disappointed, but it was a necessary decision.
For 2021, we are working on a plan to reopen on a limited basis. The obvious challenge is COVID-19 safety.
Some insight into our racing plans for 2021:
We are discussing that when racing starts, it will be one night a week. We are planning on just Wednesday nights to begin the season. This allows us to ease into the season and ensure our COVID-19 guidelines are being implemented properly, allowing us to make any necessary changes before the next race day. We will re-evaluate adding race nights on a regular basis to decide if/when we can expand programming.
Status of our regular programs:
• Wednesday adult racing or organized training – in planning phase. Start date to be determined.
• YCL – on hold. Evaluating our ability to restart in 2021
• Certification Classes – on hold. Evaluating our ability to restart in 2021
• Tuesday Racing – on hold till further notice
• Pro races – on hold till further notice
As a 100% volunteer organization, we are doing our best to get things going while taking care of our personal and professional lives outside the velodrome. If anyone wants to help, please email [email protected]
Please check back for updates!
East Point Velodrome Association