Now that we are into the new year DLV staff would like to remind all of our riders of a couple of points:
1. Everybody needs to have a new waiver signed and on file to ride at the velodrome. You can print one here: http://www.dicklanevelodrome.com/system/files/atra_waiver.pdf and bring it with you on a Wednesday night for Winter Training, or email a scanned copy to [email protected], AND slip an original copy under the concession room door at the velodrome.
2. Please be up to date with your training fees. Training fee's are just $5 per day, and a winter training pass is just $40. We are on an honesty system, so we do expect people to be honest. Every fee that is paid to the velodrome helps us keep the gates open, so being up to date with your fees will help keep YOUR velodrome in good shape for the future. You can pay fee's here: http://www.dicklanevelodrome.com/pages/racerinfo.html . All 2010 Season Passes are good through till the new season starts at the beginning of April.
3. Make sure you're in great shape for what is shaping up to be a fantastic 2011 racing season!
From our piece earlier in 2010 from Ethic Inc, present 'The Keirin' event, we were selected as one of the best of 2010 on WABE's City Cafe segment. A huge thanks to the folks at WABE and Kate Sweeney for making it all happen for us!
Here's a few more things that are and are not changing for the coming season:
The 2010 Tuesday racing program was a huge success with the integration of Sprints and Pursuits into the rotation, so we'll be keeping those nights the same for the coming season.
Wednesday racing will remain mostly unchanged except for a shuffle of the actual races on each night. We'll continue to run the 3 week rotation of race nights. Here is the updated event listings: http://www.dicklanevelodrome.com/pages/weeklyracing.html
Working Man's Madison
We'll be running the Working Man's Madison's again this year. The dates for the two events are:
Tuesday May 31st & Wednesday June 1st
Tuesday August 30th & Wednesday August 31st
A couple of the major changes for the madisons are:
- D riders will race both nights
- All non-madison categories will race completely individually
- Non-madison categories will do a 1 Lap individual TT instead of the team sprint style that we did in 2010
More info here: http://www.dicklanevelodrome.com/pages/workingmansmadison.html
The beginners program will be back again, and will follow much the same path as it has the last couple of years. The regular season program will consist of four consecutive Thursday evenings to complete the course and we will be planning to run some weekend classes in the Spring, and also in the Fall. We will also plan to run a Summer weekend class based on need. Details for those weekend classes are TBD at this stage, so keep an eye here: http://www.dicklanevelodrome.com/pages/beginnerprogram.html for those details.
Due to the overwhelming response to the BLL program in 2010 we are making some changes to how the program will run for 2011. Here's the breakdown:
The program will now start at 5:30pm and be split into 2 x 1hr sessions. The first 1hr session will be for all riders aged 8-11 years old. The second 1hr session will be for kids aged 12-16years old, and selected younger riders who meet a 200m time qualification to be determined by the BLL coaches. The progrom will continue to be held on Monday's and Thursday's.
When: Every Monday and Thursday from the time change in March through the end of October from:
5:30pm till 6:30pm for kids aged 8-11
6:30pm till 7:30pm for kids aged 12-16
All the info here: http://www.dicklanevelodrome.com/pages/bicyclelittleleague.html
As of the first Wednesday in January we're going to be starting up our winter training sessions for all of you with the itchy track legs. There are a couple of things to note about the sessions:
1. Session run each Wednesday from 7pm till 8:30pm
2. Session are open for all, and open for whatever training you'd like to partake in
3. Sessions will only happen if the temperature is above 40deg at 6pm on the velodrome thermometer: http://www.dicklanevelodrome.com/pages/weather.html
4. Everyone will need to sign a new waiver for 2011: http://www.dicklanevelodrome.com/system/files/atra_waiver.pdf
5. Everyone will be required to sign in, and the daily training fee will be $5 unless you have a season pass.
Here at the EPVA head quarters we've begun starting to plan for our 2011 season and will be publishing some of our major changes for the coming year. The first of those changes will be based around some of the extra non-track events that we ran this year, that we will not be continuing for 2011:
The century ride from the velodrome was something that we had initially attempted to get off the ground in 2009, but were not successful in making it happen until 2010. Several issues came out of the running of our 2010 event specifically, but a larger part of us not continuing the event is that we are looking to re-focus back onto what we do best, and that is track cycling and track racing. We will however be looking to put some of our influence behind the great support of the MACC One Love Century for 2011, as those guys run a great event, and have been great contributors to our Bicycle Little League program over the last few years.
It is definitely with a heavy heart that we will not be continuing our cyclocross race in 2011. The same applies for this event as the century ride in getting back to solely focusing on track racing, but several issues with the event in 2010 came up that we just cannot ignore moving forward. Damage to our facility and the costs involved in running such an event at our facility are just a couple of the reasons that we won't be moving forward with the event.
Huge thanks to Josephine Wicker for conducting this interview with Dick Lane for her history project, and to Lucius Williams for taping the interview and creating the video. Of course thanks to Dick Lane for making the time to be interviewed. This interview is part of our recent efforts to get a better sense of the history of the velodrome, and you can read some more about that here: http://www.dicklanevelodrome.com/pages/history.html . Enjoy!
PBA30 will be airing a slightly shortened version of 'The Keirin' short film tonight and tomorrow night. Sunday 11/21 @ 1am will feature the first showing and the second showing will go down at Midnight on Sunday night, 11/21. It will be featured in the Atlanta Shorts segment on the station. More info at PBA30's website: http://www.pba.org/schedules/pba30/#
We are looking to improve our website for 2011 with some new information and are in need of some assistance to be able to make that happen. We are looking for someone who has experience in Information Architecture to specifically look at all of our use cases, so that we can then figure out the best way to effectively add in the new information to the site, and keep it easy to navigate for all of our current information. If you are a person with this experience, or know someone with experience in this area who may be willing to donate some time on this project, we'd love to hear from you, [email protected] or 404 769 0012.
Due to a scheduling issue with several of our chief maintenance officers, we are going to be postponing our scheduled track painting work day this coming Saturday, 11/6. We will be re-scheduling the painting session for the spring time to get the surface looking great.
DLV's own Steve Carrell has won himself World Championship at the Masters World Championships in Portugal. Steve won the 40-44 Points Race.
Tony Scott was also in Portugal spreading the good word about the DLV with a fine second placing in the 45-49 Scratch Race.
All of us here at the DLV are proud of our guys performances out there, and congratulate both Steve and Tony on their great rides.
Steve's Points Race results: http://www.uvp-fpc.pt/pagina_file_ver.php?ficheiro=31102010164457.pdf
Tony's Scratch Race results: http://www.uvp-fpc.pt/pagina_file_ver.php?ficheiro=28102010221433.pdf