We've set the schedule for our Fall Weekend Beginners Class, it will be happening on the Saturday 19th and Sunday the 20th of October from 2pm till 5pm both days. If you are interested in joining us for the class, you can sign-up online over here: http://www.dicklanevelodrome.com/node/805 if you have questions about the class, read our beginners page over here: http://www.dicklanevelodrome.com/pages/beginnerprogram.html and if you don't find answers there, feel free to drop us an email, firstname.lastname@example.org .
With our adult racing season having drawn to a close this week, we have our official winners of our Men's and Women's Rider of the Year and the Team of the Year. Mikey Waine made 2013 his own in the Men's championship with some strong performances in the B category on his way up to finishing out the season in the A's. Christina Panella took the women's championship after being close a number of times in the past few years. Team of the Year was won by the East Point Track Club, backing their win from 2011. We'll be celebrating and presenting our winners at the End of Season Party on the 12th, as well as introducing a few new awards, including Rookie of the Year, Most improved and Volunteer of the Year. We would especially like to thank everyone who came out to race this year, came out to watch and of course all of our fantastic volunteers, sponsors and staff for another great year at the velodrome.
At last weekends Velodrome Cup event we set a few new track records. Flying lap records were posted in both the mens and womens categories, with Matt Robbins riding 19.376 to set the mens record and Cheryl Fuller-Muller clocking 22.041 to set the womens record. The 1 mile scratch race record was also set, with Thomas Brown holding that record at 2m07.87s. See all of our track records over here: http://www.dicklanevelodrome.com/pages/records.html
October 26th 2013, 2pm till 6pm
We're bringing swapping back to the Dick Lane Velodrome!! It's been a number of years since we've swapped it up at the velodrome, but coming up soon we'll be bringing it back for Swap Till You Drop!! Buying and Selling will be the main theme of the day, but we'll also be having some super fun events to help keep folks entertained. Here's the details: http://www.dicklanevelodrome.com/pages/swaptillyoudrop
This years awards party will once again be held at the Marlay House on the 12th of October from 6pm. The Marlay will be offering a free beer to the first 60 folks that show up, and we'll also be running a goldsprints tournament with Marlay House gift certificates on the line. We will be recognizing our riders of the year, team of the year and will also be giving away some new awards for volunteer of the year, rookie of the year and most improved.
Saturday October 12th at 6pm
The Marlay House
426 West Ponce De Leon Ave
Decatur, Georgia 30030
Some great photo's of the action from Saturdays Batdorf and Bronson Velodrome Cup, courtesy of Southeastern Cyclings' Trish Albert: http://sadlebred.smugmug.com/Sports/Road-Racing/2013-Dick-Lane-Velodrome-Cup/31726084_9pvzgx
Courtesy of Cakehag.com here is our awesome looking food menu for the Velodrome Cup this coming Saturday:
Velo Cheesesteak Sandwich- loaded w/ steak, onions, mushrooms, green peppers and topped w/ cheese sauce. Served with a side of German Potato Salad- $10.00 or sandwich only for $8.00
Grilled Chicken sandwich- Grilled coconut chicken tenders, Asian slaw, and Mayo on a toasted hoagie roll- $7.00
Roasted Veggie Wrap- Roasted Red, orange and yellow bell peppers, Yellow squash, Zucchini and portabellos mushrooms wrapped in a flour tortilla- $7.00
Chicken Nachos- Chicken, black beans, cheese, pico de gallo and sour cream- $7.00
Beef Hot Dogs w/ all the fixin's-$2.00
Brownies and Brownie Sundae's- $2.00 brownie only and $3.00 for the Sundae's
Assorted Cupcakes- $2.00
Side of German Potato salad- $3.00
We are looking for a couple more sets of hands to complete our volunteer crew for the Velodrome Cup coming up this weekend, if you are around and available, we'd love the help. We have shifts available for set-up(11am-1pm), afternoon(2:30pm-6pm) and Evening(5:30pm-9pm). Please drop us a line: email@example.com
Thanks to event hosts GA Tech Cycling Team for a great day out. A number of new riders from GA Tech, Mercer U and UGA got themselves certified, and we had a nice turnout of already certified riders at the race as well. Congrats to all of the winners, here are the results: http://www.dicklanevelodrome.com/results/eventsondate.php?dt=2013-08-24
Due to lack of attendence we will not be holding any more Monday Night FIT classes for the remainder of the season. We will re-asses the program during the off-season to asses whether we will continue it for the 2014 season.
We have a few notes relating to the state championships coming up this weekend:
1. Please read the race flier, it will contain answers to most questions and you will have an idea of what is happening if you read it. If you print it and bring it with you on race day, you will also have a complete schedule of events. Flier is here: http://www.dicklanevelodrome.com/sites/default/files/13regionalflier.pdf
2. This race is sanctioned by USA Cycling. As such all riders will need either a USAC annual racing license, or pay a $10 one day license fee. You will need to have your license physically with you, or some other type of confirmation of such, otherwise you will have to pay the one day license fee.
3. Numbers: Will not be re-issued for this event, so BRING YOUR RACE NUMBER with you. Numbers are only re-issued for PRS events. If you need a re-issue of a number it will cost you $5.
4. Categories: ALL riders must have completed a beginner’s course at the DLV or another velodrome, to be eligible to race. No exceptions. No DLV D riders will be eligible to race massed start events in any division.
5. Team Events: Registration for team events will close at the beginning of the afternoon session. You will have the morning to organize your teams, but you must have your team rosters submitted to race officials in the judges stand before the 4pm start of the afternoon session. You could also use the forums on the website here to get your teams together.
If anything is unclear, please let us know, firstname.lastname@example.org
We've got the race flier loaded up for the third Pro Race Series event of the year, the Batdorf & Bronson Velodrome Cup. There are a multitude of new things for the A category in the event, and some of those are as follows:
1. Points Scoring: Points scoring for the omnium will be a modified international omnium format(we might dub it International DLV Omnium?). Points will score 15 places deep, with the winner of each event scoring 15pts, then 14pts for 2nd and 1 point steps till 15th place gets 1 point. All other finishers will receive zero points. NON FINISHERS of any event will be penalized 5 points.
2. New Events: There are a couple of new events that we'll be running as part of the omnium:
Reverse Snowball-Big points at the beginning, and points trailing off towards the end of the race.
3Lap "Merckx" TT - This will be actually 3 laps, not a kilo, and aero bars will not be allowed. All other "regular" aero equipment will be fair game, just no aero bars.
Most of the other events are regular events at the DLV, here is the full list:
1 Mercx 3 Lap TT
2 30 Lap Split Scratch
3 60 Lap Points Race
4 Flying 1 Lap TT
5 15 Lap Reverse Snowball
6 15 Lap Win and Out
7 Miss and Out
8 1 Mile Scratch
B and C category races will remain mostly unchanged for this upcoming event.
Check out the race flier here: http://www.dicklanevelodrome.com/sites/default/files/13velocupflier.pdf
We're bringing collegiate racing back to the DLV for 2013 courtesy of the Georgia Tech Cycling Club, with the Collegiate Track Cup. In addition to the racing portion of the Collegiate Track Cup, we will also be running a special beginners class for those riders who wish to become certified for racing track. For more info, check over here:
CHECK YOUR CHAINRING BOLTS!!!
We have seen a number of chainring bolts both on the apron of the track, in the pavilion area and in the parking lot, so before your next ride at the track please be sure to check that all of your chainring bolts are:
A. Present and accounted for
B. Tight enough to remain that way!